TOP 5 WAYS TO PROMOTE YOURSELF AS AN ARTIST
Promoting yourself as an artist isn't as easy as you may think. Have you built good exposure for yourself? Are you engaging your audience? Who’s paying attention to you and why? Are you selling tickets for your events? Are people buying, streaming or downloading your music? These are all factors artists should be paying attention to. Just like any business, you need to create a necessity for your product to make it valuable enough for someone to buy it. Your music is your product. So how are you going to promote it?
Here are some key things to help promote and sell yourself as an artist (your brand), your music (your product) and your shows (the experience).
1. Make sure to write a good biography. A clear and concise story about who you are as an artist helps your audience get to know you. They might even identify to you because they have shared or experienced the same journey. This helps create a proximity between the artist and the fan as you’re showing vulnerability. Include a short but compelling biography and precise the type of music you’re playing. Don’t forget to highlight important or unique facts that make you stand out from the crowd! For an in depth article on how to write a proper artist biography, click here.
2. Social media is your friend so you should use it to your advantage! Make sure to advertise for yourself and your band through different platforms however you should first have an understanding of your goals before directly jumping into social media. Keep in mind that each platform serves different goals. This should help engage your public and keep them updated with what you do, making it easier for them to follow you. Here is a list of different platforms to promote yourself : Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Reverbnation, Soundcloud, Bandcamp, Youtube, blogs, Google plus,.. Learn to master these platforms and you’ll be king/queen of social media in no time! Read our article on how to master social media here.
3. “Your network is your net worth”. Don’t forget to tell your friends and families, and their friends and families about your gigs. Always try to seek out for collaborations with the community. Ask them to come support you and share their love! Networking has never been more valuable! Learn how to put yourself out there and grow your network here.
4. Boost your sale tickets by using different methods. You should create incentives for your fans by either reaching out to them or offering them freebies such as prizes they could win in contests, lucky draws or even just give out free track downloads, CDs or merchandises. Stickers are also very effective and they really boost your exposure. For detailed tips on how to sell tickets, click here.
5. Last but not least, be confident, believe in yourself and put yourself out there! If you've come this far, it means that . If you’re just starting in the music industry, don’t give up and give it your best shot. Don’t forget to stay true to yourself and if you show people how much fun you’re having doing music, they might follow your steps as well. Share the love, share the music.